Dates: 1937 until 1990
Specialism: heavy duty cables
A manufacturer of heavy duty cables able to take up to 11 kilovolts, Lancashire cables were incorporated in 1937. Shortly afterwards in 1942 they were acquired by the Sterling Cable Company and the two companies merged in 1948 to form the Sterling Cable Company (Aldermaston) Limited.
The company manufactured mains cables at Warrington until at least 1990, by then part of Sterling Greengate and BICC (British Insulated Callender’s Cables).
This article was written for the Wire Works Project 2020-2021, a National Lottery Heritage funded project aiming to highlight and celebrate the legacy left by the wire industry, which dominated Warrington’s employment structure for over 170 years, putting the town at the forefront of the Industrial Revolution.